Pages

My. Mix Tape.

"Greenleaf" - The Generationals

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Entering a whole new era.



As I was about to enjoy another wonderious (combo wonderful/hilarious) episode of 30 Rock on Hulu, I was presented with an option I'm not used to seeing (as depicted above). The value of in-show advertising online is steadily increasing; mostly because the number of people who choose to watch their favorite shows online is increasing.

Commercials tend to appear in the same place online as they do during the regular television broadcast, but they are generally only :15 or :30 spots. The only gripe I have with the current system is that I usually have to watch the same commercial four, five, or even six different times. Even for someone who's interested in advertising, that can grow monotonous.

The first reason why this new system is interesting, is that I now have the option to view a longer message (or trailer in this case) from the sponsor, without having to watch the same commercial over-and-over again during my program. This is a definite plus in my book.

But perhaps the most interesting facet of this new system is that advertisers are giving the power of selecting the message to the consumer. It's like going to the dentist when you were a kid and they let you pick the color toothbrush. Now they just hand you one and I'm left thinking, "I don't want the green toothbrush Mandy, I want the blue one." I guess I'm just trying to say, as a consumer, I like choices and recent studies on my generation (Gen Y) indicate they feel the same way.

Emily Riley of Forrester Research suggested, in this 3 Minute Ad Age, of "the creation of a web portal that would enable Gen Y'ers to post their wants in an organized manner." Basically, this system within Hulu is another step in allowing the consumer to choose the message they wish to receive. I am excited to see where this system takes us in the future, because the more precise we can be with delivering our message, the more money we can ultimately save.

No comments: